Manufacturing & Logistics
KST understands that technology is not only critical to the performance of modern loss prevention functions, but is essential to the job satisfaction, development and retention of good loss prevention staff.
For many years, there’s been significant investment in Manufacturing & Logistics technology; from automation in fulfilment, IT systems and transportation, while loss prevention was often underfunded.
Forward thinking businesses looking to achieve a greater return from their loss prevention staff are recognising that investment in CCTV, incident reporting, trend and data analytics and safe distance people screening all help to improve the performance of their loss prevention teams.
Common Risks Within Manufacturing & Logistics:
- Health & Safety: Employee welfare is paramount and with the increasing use of machinery for picking & packing, together with high levels of stock being stacked to ceiling height in warehouse environments, workers are constantly at risk of harm during their working day. These environments therefore present considerable liability risks to employers
- Theft: Employees are trusted to undertake their work to the best of their ability. It is, however, an unavoidable fact that the theft of stock does happen and can have a significantly negative impact on profitability. Limited process and managerial visibility are common contributing factors to loss of product through internal theft
- Integrity of Surveillance Systems: Broken cameras mean entire sections of premises are open to threats. Like any piece of hardware, cameras need ongoing maintenance with defunct units being replaced from to time-to-time. Knowing when a unit is malfunctioning can be difficult and without a robust remote engineering function in place, it is quite common for systems to go unchecked for years
- Landscaping: Main logistics hubs and satellite warehouses are typically located on major arterial routes and on the peripheries of urban areas. Many occupiers are choosing to improve the aesthetic of their properties with trees, shrubs and greenery. The downside is that this provides opportunistic criminals with areas of cover
- Proactive Perimeter Protection: It is accepted that for a crime to take place, your perimeter must be breached. Stopping intruders at this critical point is a proactive measure that prevents crime before it occurs. Traditional means of CCTV monitoring recording are not capable of intervening in criminal activity, although they can facilitate an after-the-fact review of footage
- Fire Prevention: By the very nature of the business, major storage and distribution facilities are often packed tightly with valuable product. The risk of fire can have devastating results and is a constant threat to employee safety and to profitability through large scale loss of product
- Lighting: Poorly lit or shadowy areas provide criminals with the perfect cover to move around without raising suspicion
Solutions KST Supplies to its Manufacturing & Logistics Clients:
The installation of modern fire suppression systems such as sprinklers, fire doors, and smoke ventilation throughout a building can prevent the escalation of a fire. If fire detection systems are installed, they should be regularly tested, and the test results documented. Employees should be well-trained in recognising fire hazards and the evacuation procedures to follow in real-life scenarios. The combination of these elements can greatly impact the ability of the facility to respond and effectively minimise the damage caused by a fire.
Working alongside clients to understand the risks at each site, innovative patrolling solutions protect assets and ensure a continuous deterrent. Throughout internal or external patrols routes, NFC tags can be fitted at pre-defined points and scanned by officers to provide site specific patrol reports through the DYMENSiON trend and data analytics platform. These reports are used to highlight any security or health and safety risks, or to ensure additional focus is given to key areas.
An effective security surveillance system can provide visibility over an entire facility and help keep property and employees secure. CCTV solutions reduce crime and can provide a valuable record of key events for investigative purposes, providing 24/7 surveillance with live remote viewing access. The use of effective lighting around a distribution or manufacturing facility also helps a remote monitored video surveillance system, improving the ability of a remote specialist to visually verify a threat and take the appropriate action.
DYMENSiON Process, Trend & Data Analytics
It is widely accepted throughout industry that data must drive decision making, and that clients benefit from a single entry point for their entire estates’ information; allowing them to analyse spend and mitigate risk. DYMENSiON provides just that; a rich user experience with enhanced navigation and robust analytics tools that simplify and confirm trends. With a deep focus on security and data integrity, DYMENSiON helps our Manufacturing & Logistics clients manage their spend vs risk, using the platform for communication, data protection, asset information and incident management.
We recognise that in today’s data and cloud-dominated market, data and analytical thinking to measure spend vs risk is fundamental to our clients’ requirements.
At Kings Secure Technologies, we use CCTV cameras and remote viewing software to allow management to ensure that correct H&S procedures are being adhered to. Incidents can be quickly and easily investigated via recorded video on designated mobile and desktop devices and reported through our DYMENSiON portal.
Case Study: Kings Provides Continuous Improvement to EVRI (Hermes) UK
EVRI (Hermes) UK is one of the UK’s largest parcel delivery companies with 100+ distribution hubs and depots across the UK. They called in specialists from Kings Secure Technologies to design a security solution that would meet their specific requirements, as well as comply with the latest standards.
- Delivering a first-class Security Team to all Distribution Hubs at all times
- Have complete confidence in security service delivery and management
- Evidence of continuous innovation and improvement
- Introduction of an innovative patrol management system including vehicle and personnel search control and integrated incident and risk management
- Re-launched EVRI’s (Hermes) security to deliver an improved customer and colleague experience
- Regular reviews of manpower and systems integration. Evaluating current systems and processes with a view to delivering cost savings and increasing productivity by integrating technology with a sustainable security package for the longer term
- Significant reduction in theft
- Increased use of technology delivering savings on manned guarding
- Improved visibility of estate performance
- Protection of brand and increased profitability
“This contract award demonstrates that Kings Secure Technologies is continuing to strengthen its positioning as a market leader in security services in the UK. We are pleased to work with a leading company that values safety and security, and invests to protect its resources and people.” John Ferguson, Head of Loss Prevention – EVRI (Hermes)
We adopt a sympathetic but robust approach to “stop & search” which is recorded through our management information portal, DYMENSiON and has been proven to reduce internal theft for our customers.